Why Penn State
We know there’s a lot to consider when getting a graduate degree. That’s why we recently added the Financial Data Analytics (FDA) option to our Master of Finance. Flexible, seven-week courses let you balance your busy schedule while still reaping the benefits of once-per-week face-to-face classes, like networking, developing interpersonal skills, and participating in an immersive capstone experience. We offer options to fit your busy life—attend full-time or part-time and earn your degree at your pace.
Our program is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, a standing earned by less than five percent of the world’s business programs. The Master of Finance program helps prepare you for various professional certifications, such as the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) certification.
This program is STEM designated, allowing 36 months total of Optional Practical Training (OPT) compared to 12 months for non-STEM degrees.
The core curriculum covers a variety of topics, ranging from practical business applications used to manage current financial challenges to advanced financial theories that can address future trends. The FDA option allows you to specialize your studies on big data and analytical problems in finance and culminates in a capstone course that immerses you in real-world case analyses. Students in the option should begin their program in the fall semester.
You'll focus on:
- Machine learning and data mining tools used in the financial industry
- Advanced financial data visualization techniques
- Real-world applications and projects related to financial data analytics, such as
- Fraud detection in credit card companies
- Real-time credit evaluation
- Insurance companies’ pricing decisions for customers’ changing financial situations
- Market sentiment analysis to help make investment decisions
Online and Hybrid Format
- Classes are offered in a seven-week format and are both hybrid and fully online.
- Each course is designated as either online or hybrid.
- In-person classes are held once a week in three-hour evening sessions, offering a convenient format for career professionals seeking to enroll on a part-time basis.
- Students will participate in online course activities throughout the week, which may include class discussion forums, teamwork, and various online learning activities.
- The online and hybrid class format allows students to participate in a program that suits their lifestyle, while benefiting from a collaborative and engaging experience designed to educate and assist students in their career.
- Students interact face-to-face with professors, developing personal, mentoring relationships, while also enjoying virtual classes that are accessible from anywhere.
- Our students are business professionals and managers in both the private and public sectors. We value professional and leadership experience as well as academic achievement in the classroom.