Why Penn State
We know there’s a lot to consider when getting a graduate degree. That’s why we recently redesigned our Master of Finance degree to combine the best of in-person and online education. Flexible, seven-week courses let you balance your busy schedule while still reaping the benefits of once-per-week face-to-face classes, like networking, developing interpersonal skills, and participating in an immersive capstone experience. We offer options to fit your busy life—attend full-time or part-time and earn your degree at your pace.
Our program is fully accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, a standing earned by less than five percent of the world’s business programs. The Master of Finance program helps prepare you for various professional certifications, such as the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) certification.
This program is STEM designated, allowing 36 months total of Optional Practical Training (OPT) compared to 12 months for non-STEM degrees.
The program covers a variety of topics, ranging from practical business applications used to manage current financial challenges to advanced financial theories that can address future trends. You'll focus on:
- Financial modeling, including capital budgeting, basic statistics, and forecasting
- Financial accounting and its principles, and use of accounting information for decision making
- Advanced topics involving strategic financial decisions, including capital structure and cost of capital, valuation, and corporate control
- Multinational financial management for companies subject to foreign exchange risk exposure and different tax regulations in foreign countries
- Financial derivative securities covering options, forwards, futures, and OTC derivatives
Online and Hybrid Format
- Classes are offered in a seven-week format and are both hybrid and fully online.
- Each course is designated as either online or hybrid.
- In-person classes are held once a week in three-hour evening sessions, offering a convenient format for career professionals seeking to enroll on a part-time basis.
- Students will participate in online course activities throughout the week, which may include class discussion forums, teamwork, and various online learning activities.
- The online and hybrid class format allows students to participate in a program that suits their lifestyle, while benefiting from a collaborative and engaging experience designed to educate and assist students in their career.
- Students interact face-to-face with professors, developing personal, mentoring relationships, while also enjoying virtual classes that are accessible from anywhere.
- Our students are business professionals and managers in both the private and public sectors. We value professional and leadership experience as well as academic achievement in the classroom.