Earn a Second Penn State Master’s Degree and Save
Penn State Great Valley enables students to complete two master’s degrees with a significant savings in course load through a unique concurrent degree program. Each degree can accept up to 20% of its credits from the other program.
Requirements for the concurrent degree program include:
- The second degree must be part of a well-balanced, unified, and complete program of study related to the student’s initial degree and/or supports related career goals.
- At least 12 credits must be taken in the initial master’s degree program prior to applying for admission. (It is recommended that applicants complete at least 50% of credits from the first degree program to allow sufficient time given the concurrent degree time limit.)
- The student must be admitted to the concurrent degree program prior to completing 80% of credits in the first degree, and prior to the final semester in the initial degree.
Students seeking a concurrent degree must satisfy all admission criteria for the secondary degree.
- A minimum GPA of 3.2 in courses taken as a graduate student at PSU is required by the Graduate School for admission to a concurrent program.
- The concurrent degree is expected to be completed within eight years of admission to the concurrent degree.
- International students who pursue a concurrent degree will require an updated I-20 and a second major added to their document and appropriate CIP code. If graduation dates change, then the Office of International Student and Scholar Advising may require an updated bank statement providing proof of funds for an extended time (to complete second degree).
- For international students interested in OPT, employment must be tied to the most recent degree earned and conferred. International students who are currently enrolled in a non-STEM eligible program may wish to pursue a STEM-eligible degree on a concurrent basis. If the second degree earned is STEM-eligible, students can apply for a 24-month extension for OPT.
For information, you can contact the Management Division at [email protected] or 610-648-3229, and the Engineering and Technology Division at [email protected] or 610-648-3277. Find the Penn State Graduate School concurrent degree policy and student eligibility standards here.