New international students are admitted once per year in the fall semester. Degree application is required, and international students follow the same application procedures as other Penn State Great Valley applicants. Non-degree enrollment is not permitted. For questions of more information, contact the Admissions Office at [email protected] or +1-610-648-3242.
Application deadlines for fall admission
30 April: Recommended application deadline.
To be considered for admission, applicants for Penn State Great Valley will need the following:
- A completed online application.
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed at an accredited institution, with a certified literal English translation. International credentials should include degree certificates or diplomas in native language with attested English translation.
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale) is recommended.
- A copy of a current resume.
- Contact information for one or two professional or academic references depending on the program of interest.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS reports. More information on the English language proficiency requirement can be found on the Graduate School's website.
- A $65 application fee.
The following items may be required for admission. Check specific program requirements for details.
- A one-page written statement of intent to highlight one’s academic background, work experience, skills, strengths, academic interests, and professional goals.
- Answers to essay questions outlined in the online application.
- Note: The Master of Science in Data Analytics (MS-DANN) requires applicants to submit official GMAT/GRE results.
Those who have completed an application for full-time study for the Master of Engineering Management, Master of Professional Studies in Data Analytics, Master of Science in Data Analytics, Master of Science in Information Science and Master of Software Engineering will be notified of their admission decision and scholarship award during the following periods:
- 3rd week in January
- 1st week in March
- 3rd week in April
Acceptable Test Scores
The language of instruction at Penn State is English. All international applicants must take and submit scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), with the exceptions noted below.
- TOEFL – A total score of 80 with at least a 19 on the speaking section for the Internet-based test (iBT) is required.
- IELTS – The minimum acceptable composite score for the IELTS Academic is 6.5.
- International applicants are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if they have received a baccalaureate or a master's degree from a college/university/institution in any of the following countries:
- American Samoa
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- New Zealand
- Northern Ireland
- Puerto Rico
- Republic of Ireland
- South Africa
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United States
- U.S. Virgin Islands
TOEFL Essentials and the DuoLingo English Test are not included in the list of acceptable tests by the Graduate School.
Details and acceptable scores for unconditional admission and provisional admission are posted here.
For more information on temporary testing provisions for COVID-19, click here. Exceptions are available until standard testing is available in the applicant’s home country.