Advising FAQs

Advising FAQs

The following information may be useful in planning your course selection.  

Are there any significant changes to the schedule for upcoming semesters?

  • Penn State Great Valley is now offering MBA courses at The Navy Yard. The current cohort meets on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 8:00. Great Valley students are welcome to take courses there if convenient for them. Check the schedule for availability. A second cohort is expected to begin in fall 2018.
  • Students may take either BUSAD 501 or STAT 500 to satisfy the statistics pre-program requirement. Students interested in pursuing the Data Analytics certificate program should plan to take STAT 500.
  • BUSAD 501 is offered in a 100% online format. The course is offered asynchronously to accommodate students at the Great Valley, Berks and Navy Yard campuses.
  • BUSAD 542 Global Intercultural Management will be offered in spring 2018 with Professor Sebastien Point from Université de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France. This course can be used to meet the MBA Global requirement, the MLD Context Elective, or as an elective in the MFIN program.
  • BUSAD/LEAD 519 is not available in 2017-18. MLD students take MGMT 573 Corporate Innovative Strategies in spring 2018 to meet their Leadership Competency in this area. 
  • BUSAD 525 Quantitative Methods in Finance is not available as a resident course in spring 2018.  Students may take the online course in spring 2018. Contact the Management Division to register for the online course.
  • ACCTG 512 Financial Accounting Theory and Reporting Problems is not available as a resident course in spring 2018. Students may take the online course in spring 2018. Contact the Management Division to register for the online course.
  • MBA students may register for LEAD 556 Diversity Leadership. A drop/add slip is needed. Please contact the Management Division to be added to the course.

What is SARI and how do I enroll in the SARI module?

All Penn State graduate students enrolling fall 2009 and later must complete Scholarship and Research Integrity (SARI) requirements that is relevant to their specific program. 

Students enrolling at Penn State Great Valley prior to fall 2014 may have completed all their requirements embedded in specified courses, including MGMT 501, BUSAD 526, and LEAD 561.

Effective fall 2014, all incoming management division students must complete an online module that addresses issues such as plagiarism and intellectual property.  Although successful completion of this module is a requirement for graduation, it is highly recommended that each student complete this training as early as possible, both to provide an important preparation for coursework and to avoid unnecessary delays to expected graduation. 

SARI groups are offered in both the fall and spring semesters (but not in summer so please plan accordingly if you are expecting to graduate in summer).  Click here for more SARI group information.

What certificate programs are available to Management Division students? 
Students can also complete certificate programs in Corporate Finance, Risk Management, Human Resource Management, Health Care Management, and Sustainable Management Practices as stand-alone programs or concurrently with degree programs.  The Engineering Division also offers a certificate in Data Analytics, to which MBA courses can be applied.  For more information on any of these programs, visit Graduate Certificates, the Enrollment Management and Student Services Office, or the Division office.

Where can I find the most recent Plan of Study (check sheet) for my program?
For your convenience, Plans of Study for the MBA, MLD and MFIN programs are available on this website as well as prerequisites* for each course. It is recommended that you download your plan of study and course prerequisite list, as well as a copy of your transcript from LionPATH, before meeting with your adviser. *(Please note that prerequisites on the University Registrar page may be University Park's prerequisites. Always consult this website or your Plan of Study for the correct prerequisites.)

When will courses be offered in the future?
A number of advanced courses, particularly those in the specialized options, are available only once per year. You may want to consider this in planning the sequence of your courses. Refer to the Anticipated Course Offerings and Prerequisite List found on each program page to see the expected offering schedule for all Management Division courses. Note that this may be subject to change depending on availability of faculty. 

What courses can be used as MBA Open Electives?
There may be courses offered on the schedule which are not reflected on your plan of study or list of electives. Most courses (other than foundation courses) can be used as open electives in the MBA program, including some offered in other divisions, assuming prerequisites are met. Please consult with your adviser or the Management Division if you have questions.

I enrolled in the MBA program prior to summer 2012.  How does the subsequent curriculum revision affect me?
The revised MBA curriculum has been in effect for incoming students since summer 2012. There are several changes that may affect students who matriculated prior to summer 2012.   

ACCTG 512 was replaced by ACCTG 511 Financial and Managerial Accounting. Any MBA students who have not yet taken ACCTG 512 should substitute ACCTG 511. These students have the choice of transitioning to the new curriculum or substituting another course for ACCTG 524 within their existing program. Any MBA student who is considering a concurrent degree with MFIN may wish to continue taking ACCTG 512 and ACCTG 524. Students who have taken ACCTG 512 must take ACCTG 524.
BA 517 is no longer a preprogram requirement. BUSAD option students who have taken BA 517 may apply the course toward their remaining open electives.  This may not apply to students in other options who must choose from a list of restricted electives specific to their area of study.  If you were not required to take BA 517 as a pre-program requirement, you are not affected by this change.

The revised curriculum also provides for flexibility in meeting the ethics and technology requirements.  Specifically, the ethics requirement can be met by BUSAD 551, BUSAD 534, or BUSAD 576.  The technology requirement can be met by BUSAD 537, BUSAD 577, BUSAD 575, or BUSAD 835.  We are permitting these same courses to be substituted for BUSAD 551 and BUSAD 537, respectively, under the Advanced Core Courses in the old MBA curriculum, unless a specific course is required for a specialized option.  Please consult with your adviser so that any substitution is properly reflected on the program of study in your file.                                                                    

How do I find the name of my Faculty Adviser?
Faculty advisers are assigned at the time of your admission.  Please refer to LionPATH for the name of your adviser.  If you are unable to locate this information, your adviser is on sabbatical leave, or you cannot reach your adviser, please contact the Management Division at or call 610-648-3229 for assistance.

How and when do I file my Intent to Graduate? 
When you are nearing graduation, you must file your Intent to Graduate via LionPATH. During this period, you may verify or change your graduation status. Check the academic calendar for dates.

What Concentrations are available within the MBA program?
Within the MBA program, concentrations are available in finance, health sector management, human resource management, and sustainable management practices.  For information, please contact

What is a Concurrent Degree and how do I apply?
A concurrent degree program allows students to complete two programs, with each program accepting up to 20% of its total required credits from the other. The concurrent degree program must be part of a well-balanced, unified and complete program of study related to the degree the student was admitted to pursue and/or supports related career goals. Several conditions must be met to satisfy Graduate School policy:

  • The student must be admitted to concurrent degree program prior to completing 75% of credits in the initial master's degree, and prior to the final semester in the home degree.
  • A minimum GPA of 3.5 in courses taken as a graduate student at PSU is required.
  • At least 12 credits must be taken in the home program prior to applying for admission. (It is recommended that applicants complete at least 50% of home program credits to allow sufficient time given the concurrent degree time limit.)
  • Concurrent students must meet all requirements for the second degree program.
  • The concurrent degree is expected to be completed within three years from admission to the concurrent program.

Interested students should contact their Division for more information.

Who do I contact for general information about Management Division programs?
Please feel free to contact the Management Division at or call 610-648-3229 if you have any questions regarding your program, course offerings, course content, or any concerns that you might have. We are constantly striving to improve our programs and welcome feedback from you.