In addition to the University-wide virtual commencement on Sunday, May 9, Penn State Great Valley will hold an in-person commencement ceremony on Friday, May 7, at 7:00 p.m. for spring 2021 graduates only.
Each ceremony will follow state and federal guidelines for gatherings. All students, guests and employees are required to wear face masks and maintain physical distancing from others to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19. Penn State staff will be on site to answer questions and provide guidance; please follow their instructions about health and safety protocols. All guests who will be attending a commencement ceremony are expected to take health and safety precautions when traveling and during commencement weekend. In addition, please do not attend an in-person ceremony if within the last 14 days you think you have been exposed, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, are awaiting test results or have tested positive for COVID-19.
The health and safety of our students, guests, and campus community remains of paramount importance. Our ceremony will follow requirements for masking, physical distancing, and state and federal guidelines for gatherings. All students, guests, and employees are required to wear face masks and maintain physical distancing from others to help minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19.
We will all need to remain flexible and continue to follow public health guidelines. While we look forward to celebrating in person, the University is prepared to adjust plans, including shifting to a fully virtual ceremony If needed based on changing virus conditions or changes in public health guidelines. More information will continue to be shared and updated as needed leading up to commencement to align the University’s plans with the most up-to-date federal and state guidance.
In order to help us prepare for graduation and the Commencement ceremony, please complete the following steps:
Commencement RSVP Form
- If you are graduating in spring 2021, please complete the Commencement RSVP Form, whether you plan to attend the in-person ceremony or not.
- Additional instructions and information will be sent in the next few weeks.
Commencement Ceremony Tickets
- Each graduate will be permitted to bring two guests to the ceremony. We will be using an electronic ticketing system, and you will order your tickets online. Instructions for ordering tickets will be sent to you after you have completed the Commencement RSVP form.
Caps, Gowns, and Hoods
- All graduating students who participate in the ceremony must wear the academic regalia appropriate for their degree status.
- You will place your orders for caps, gowns, and hoods online through the Great Valley Bookstore. Click here for detailed instructions on how to place your order.
- Diplomas for spring graduates will be mailed from the University Registrar’s Office beginning in late May. For further diploma details, please visit the diploma information page.
For Graduates from the 2020 Academic Year
Virtual ceremonies served as a first step in recognizing the academic achievements of members of the class of 2020 during this global pandemic. In partnership with the Penn State Alumni Association and in consultation with alumni representatives, the University is planning for a special weekend in spring 2022 to celebrate the members of the class of 2020. More information and a specific date will be forthcoming as the University continues to develop plans to welcome recent graduates and their families back to campuses next spring with a variety of activities and events. In addition, Commonwealth Campuses will communicate specific plans for their alumni.
If you have questions, please email the Commencement Office at [email protected].