Great Valley donates 214 pounds of food, personal care items to food cupboard

A man loads boxes of food and personal care items into a car

Penn State Great Valley donated 214 pounds of food and personal care items to the nearby West Chester Food Cupboard.

Credit: Jeanette Donahue

MALVERN, Pa. — Penn State Great Valley faculty and staff recently donated 214 pounds of food and personal care items to the West Chester Food Cupboard after a campus-wide collection. Since 2021, Great Valley’s fall food drives have resulted in over 750 pounds of donations.

The initiative was spearheaded by the campus’ Diversity Action Council, Campus Community Connection, Commission for Women and the Sustainability Committee. Sue Kershner, executive assistant to the chancellor, helped organize all the items; Ed Cruz, maintenance group leader, loaded the donations into the delivery car; and Jeanette Donahue, administrative support coordinator, delivered the donation.

“I am proud to say that this is my third year delivering food to the Cupboard as a Penn State representative,” Donahue said. “The staff and faculty at Great Valley have been incredibly generous. I made my delivery after Thanksgiving as I noticed that the Cupboard was overwhelmed with donations before the holiday. The volunteers at the Cupboard are extremely grateful, and this year they were especially happy to receive some grape jelly.”

Located in the county seat of Chester County and less than 15 minutes from Great Valley, the West Chester Food Cupboard has provided healthy food and essential personal care items to people in need since 2009.