Immerse yourself in the exciting field of modern engineering
In developing the Bachelor of General Engineering bachelor's degree with the Multidisciplinary Engineering Design (MDE) option, Penn State has drawn upon its existing strengths as one of the premier institutions in engineering education and research. The Multidisciplinary Engineering Design (MDE) degree incorporates advanced course work in electrical engineering, computer engineering, and engineering design to produce innovative engineers specializing in systems design and integration.
Through a consortium consisting of Penn State Brandywine in Media, Penn State Abington, and Penn State Great Valley in Malvern, undergraduate engineering students in the Philadelphia region can now complete their baccalaureate degrees without leaving the area.
The first two years of foundational engineering coursework will be offered at both Penn State Brandywine and Penn State Abington, while the last two years of advanced engineering coursework will be offered at the new engineering facility at Penn State Great Valley. The program culminates in a two-semester senior design project and a summer internship in the engineering industry.
The general engineering program provides students with a strong foundation in engineering with a specialization in engineering design.
- Interdisciplinary approach with emphasis on design systems engineering and robotics
- Emphasis on teamwork and working collaboratively in multidisciplinary and multicultural environments
- Upper division work offered at the state-of-the-art engineering facilities at Penn State Great Valley
- Integration of teamwork, technical skills, and professional communication skills
- Perspectives of the global, environment, social, and ethical context of an engineer's work
- Two-semester senior design course-sequence that results in an advanced engineering project
- Summer internship at the end of junior year to gain valuable work experience
- product engineering
- manufacturing engineer
- materials engineer
- engineering designer
- process engineering
- development engineering
- research engineering
- systems engineering