The goal of this graduate certificate program is to prepare students to make managerial decisions that integrate HR strategies and practices with organizational strategy in order to improve business performance.
Applicants must hold either 1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (post-secondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates. The successful applicant is generally expected to have a minimum combined junior/senior grade-point average of 3.0 (B) on a 4.0 scale.
Current Penn State Great Valley graduate students in all programs are also welcome to apply and enroll in this certificate.
To be awarded the graduate certificate, students must successfully complete 15 credits of course work consisting of 3 required and 12 elective credits. All courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better and an overall GPA of 3.0.
Human Resource Management Certificate Courses
Summer 2021 Course Offerings
Summer I Term
- BADM 828 - Negotiations (NY)
(formerly BUSAD 545)
- BUSAD 523 - Prices and Markets (AB/BK)
- LEAD 862 - Strategic Leadership
(formally LEAD 562)
- MGMT 841 – Human Resource Management (AB/BK)
(formerly MGMT 541)
Summer II Term
- IB 800 - International Business Management (AB/BK)
(formerly IB 500)
- MBADM 815 - Ethical and Responsible Business Leadership (AB/BK)
(formerly BUSAD 551)
Summer Full Term
- LEAD 556 - Diversity Leadership (WC online*)
Fall 2021 Course Offerings
Fall I Term
- BUSAD 523 - Prices and Markets (NY)
- BUSAD/LEAD 519 – Developing Creative High Performance Organizations (GV)
- MBADM 815 – Ethical and Responsible Business Leadership (GV)
Fall II Term
- BUSAD 523 - Prices and Markets (GV)
- BUSAD 802 – Cornerstones of Sustainability (AB/BK)
- IB 800 - International Business Management (NY)
- MGMT 507 – Positive Organizational Behavior and Wellbeing (GV)
Fall Full Term
- MGMT 823 – Organization Change: Theory and Practice (WC online*)
- MGMT 841 – Human Resource Management (WC online*)
GV = Great Valley Campus (default)
AB = Abington Campus
BK = Berks Campus
NY = Navy Yard Location
WC = World Campus (online)
* Consult with the Management Division about World Campus courses
** GV/AB/BK delivered in part with Video Learning Network
*** HRER courses are offered through the School of Labor and Employment Relations.
**** These courses have prerequisites or require demonstration of prior preparation in a subject area. Please contact the Management Division at Penn State Great Valley prior to registering for these courses.
***** Students who already have completed a graduate-level course that provides a comprehensive overview of the HR function in organizations and an in-depth examination of the strategic planning and implementation of HRM, as determined in advance by the head of the certificate program, may be permitted to waive this course if completed within five years prior to admission.
Penn State's schedule of courses lists course availability. Although the course numbers, times, and availability on the University registrar's schedule of courses is correct, their prerequisites differ.
If you are a current certificate student and have completed all the coursework, please submit the Graduate Certificate Completion Form.